Raw Food Shopping List-
It is essential to have a few basic items to be successful on a raw food lifestyle, . Here are a few food choices you may consider whether you are curious about raw food or would like to just add a few healthier items to your pantry. Please note, you want to buy local, in season, and organic as much as possible. Outside of the fruits and vegetables, most of these items will last on your shelf or in your refrigerator for a long time. To save money buy in bulk. Also, just get one or two items at a time. Do not overwhelm yourself. Add a couple of things to your diet at a time.
Veggies- Most of your veggies will do. Start to remember for your green veggies the greener the better. For your other veggies, you want a lot of color! The more colorful your diet, the more well-rounded your nutrition.
When you can limit night shade veggies such as potatoes. More post on night shade veggies coming soon!
Don’t over look the following green veggies/sprouts. They make delicious raw meals!
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Collard green leaf
- Kale (curly and dinosaur)
- Parsley all types
- Bok Choy
- Dandelion Greens
- Mung Bean Sprouts
- Alfalfa Sprouts
Fruit- There is an abundance of fruit. Pick any fruit that you like. Variety is key and the beauty of a raw foods lifestyle. Make it a habit to try something different.
Pick fruit with seeds. Fruit without seeds are not made by nature and have less nutritional value. The more seeds it has, the less it was genetically altered.
- Star Fruit
- Blood Orange
- Garbanzo Beans
- Rye Berries
- Wheat Berries
- Wild Rice
Sprouted Raw nuts & Seeds
- Brazilian Nuts
- Flax Seeds
- Pine Nuts
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sesame Seeds*
- Sunflower Seeds
Sea Vegetables- Great for iodine and trace minerals.
- Nori Sheets
- Tea (Yerba Mate, herbal)
- Thai/Green Coconuts
- Green Smoothies
- Fresh Juices
Sweeteners- All of these sweeteners are great for use in desserts, teas, smoothies, etc.
- Raw Agave
- Raw Honey
- Raw Coconut Nectar
- *Stevia (unlimited amounts! Good for curbing sweet cravings)
- Yacon Syrup
- Herbamare (great herb seasoning salt)
- Nama Shoyu or Braggs brands of Liquid Aminos (un-pasteurized soy sauce) high in sodium. limit quantities.
- High Quality Sea Salt- toss the table salt.
- Cayenne Pepper (great for cleansing and metabolism)
- Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice (great for cleansing)
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (great for cleansing)
- Olive Oil cold or first-pressed
- Flax Seed Oil (good in dressing, etc. good source of your Omegas)
- Raw Nut butters (limited)
- Ginger- (great for cleansing & metabolism)
Superfoods (contain additional protein, anti-oxidants, etc.) (Optional)
- Raw Cacao Powder
- Cacao Nibs
- Goji Berries
- Chia Seeds
- Green Powders
- Bee Pollen
- Coconut Oil
Items to try- (A list of my savers… you will have your own)
- Sun Dried Fruit (no sulfur added)
- Fresh homemade dips and salsa
- Your own trail mix
- Olives (If you are craving fatty foods… you probably need fat! Try olives, avocado, coconut, etc. These are complete fat and are not altered by heat. They are digest easier.)
- Hemp Seeds (Great protein. Can add to salads, smoothies, etc.)
- Raw Bars
- Raw cereal
- Raw breads
Please share what some of your favorite raw food items or snacks are below!!